top of page

Keep Your Pets Safe During the Holiday's

Winter Holiday Pet Safety

The holiday season is upon us and many pet parents enjoy including their furry friends in the festivities. As you prepare for the holidays, keeping your pet’s eating and exercise routines as normal as possible is important. Also, make sure your pets do not have access to unhealthy treats, toxic plants and hazardous decorations.


Food

Do not give people food to pets. Not even if they look at you like this…

Make or buy treats that are specifically made just for them. Below is a list of people foods that are particularly dangerous for pets:

  • Chocolate: Many of us find chocolate to be an important part of the holidays, but it is toxic to dogs and cats. While the toxicity can vary depending on the type of chocolate, the size of your pet, and the amount they ate, keep all chocolate off limits for your pets to be on the safe side.

  • Other sweets and baked goods: Foods with sugar are popular around the holiday’s but they tend to be too rich for pets and should be kept in a place your pets cannot get to. It should also be noted that an artificial sweetener frequently found in baked goods, candy and chewing gum, xylitol, has been connected to liver failure and death in dogs.

  • Turkey and turkey skin: Even in small amounts, turkey and turkey skin can cause pancreatitis (a life-threatening condition) in pets.

  • Table scraps: Many foods that are healthy for people are toxic to pets. This includes onions, raisins and grapes. During the holidays we tend to gravitate toward extra-rich foods, but these table scraps can be especially fattening and difficult for animals to digest and can cause pancreatitis.

  • Yeast dough: Keep yeast dough out of the reach of your pets. It can cause painful gas and possibly dangerous bloating for pets.

Decorating While garland, lights, and Christmas trees make the holidays festive, they can create dangerous temptations for our pets.

  • Christmas trees: Pets, especially cats, can be extremely tempted to play with Christmas trees, so be sure to securely anchor your Christmas tree to avoid possible injury to your pet. If you have a real Christmas tree, this will prevent the tree water from spilling.

  • Water additives for Christmas trees: These can be toxic to pets. Tree water may contain fertilizers that can cause an upset stomach for your pet. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria and if your pet gets into it, they could experience nausea or diarrhea.

  • Ornaments: If ingested, broken ornaments can cause intestinal blockage. It is best to keep any ornaments that are handmade, especially those made from salt-dough or other food-based materials in places your pet cannot get to.

  • Tinsel and other holiday decorations: Pets are tempted to eat these, especially cats. If consumed, they can cause intestinal blockages, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery.